Saturday, December 3, 2022
Home Covid-19 Quebec begins reopening again as COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to drop

Quebec begins reopening again as COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to drop

Quebec is reporting 2,888 hospitalizations on Monday and 33 more deaths as the province begins to loosen public health restrictions.

The latest restrictions were put in place as Omicron swept through the province, leading to record-high hospitalizations.

Read more:

COVID situation stabilizing, but restrictions must be eased slowly: Quebec health director

Hospitalizations continued to drop in the latest numbers released Monday, with 166 new COVID-19 patients admitted and 173 discharged for a decrease of seven over the previous day. Of the 2,888 patients in hospital, 223 are being treated in intensive care units for a decrease of 10.

Quebec added another 2,432 confirmed cases of COVID-19 for a total of 861,891 infections, since the start of the pandemic, while recoveries stand at 808,469.

The province carried out 21,856 screening tests on Jan. 29, the latest date for which data is available.

Story continues below advertisement

Case numbers to do not accurately reflect the current situation as testing at screening facilities continues to be reserved for priority groups.

People, however can report their rapid test results on the Quebec government’s website. To date 42,293 have been registered, 33,400 of which were positive.

Meanwhile, 42,063 doses of  COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the last 24 hours for a total of more than 17.6 million shots given out in Quebec.

Read more:

Quebec restaurants are reopening, but some former workers don’t plan to go back

Last week, Quebec Premier François Legault announced the situation was improving allowing for a gradual reopening.

For the first time this year, restaurants can welcome people into their dining rooms but at 50 per cent capacity. Table limits are set at four people or two households. Restaurants must close their dining rooms at midnight with last call at 11 p.m.

Private indoor gatherings of up to four people, or two family bubbles, are also allowed and extracurricular sports are resuming for students, with proof of vaccination required for those aged 13 and over.

The second phase of Quebec’s plan to ease restrictions is set for a week from now, with places of worship, entertainment and sports venues allowed to reopen at limited capacity on Feb. 7.

Story continues below advertisement

The death toll linked to the virus has climbed to 13, 223.

— With files from The Canadian Press

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Most Popular

Canada’s men’s national soccer team has lessons to learn after long-awaited return to World Cup

The Canadian men leave the World Cup with “our heads up,” according to coach John Herdman. They also exit the world stage without a...

Air quality in hundreds of Quebec classrooms receives failing grade

Quebec’s new education minister is focusing his efforts on air quality in schools. Bernard Drainville says he’s frustrated with the lack of improvement in...

Winnipeg police chief says homicide victims’ bodies likely at landfill, but no plans to search

By The Staff The Canadian Press Posted December 2, 2022 6:07 pm Updated December 2, 2022 6:41 pm Descrease article font...

Customer service setbacks behind Pascan flight pause in Kingston, Ont.

Customer service issues related to connecting flights and network access are behind this week’s announcement that Pascan Aviation flights to and from Montreal will...