Monday, December 5, 2022
Home Covid-19 Ontario submits child-care plan just ahead of looming deadline

Ontario submits child-care plan just ahead of looming deadline

With a March 31 deadline looming, the Ford government has delivered an action plan the federal government says is needed to begin negotiations on a child-care deal.

The province stands to lose more than a billion dollars in federal funding if a deal isn’t struck.

Ontario remains the only jurisdiction in the country to not pen a deal with the Trudeau government for $10-a-day childcare. The Ford government has maintained the federal offer to the province of $10.2 billion is not enough to deliver the program.

If the province doesn’t sign a deal by end of the fiscal year, March 31, it risks losing more than $1 billion in first year funding.

The federal minister in charge of the program has said repeatedly that the Ford government still needed to submit an action plan to enter negotiations. In a statement to Global News, a spokesperson for Minister Karina Gould said the province only submitted the plan late last week.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:

Doug Ford says Ontario close to child-care deal; province is last to strike an agreement

“The submission of the first draft of the Action Plan has allowed for negotiations to move to the next phase,” said the statement.

For months, both Premier Doug Ford and Education Minister Stephen Lecce have said a deal is close to being made, but they aren’t going to make a deal for the sake of saying so. In question period on Tuesday, Ford again said a deal was close but gave no further details.

“We’re going to get this deal and just stay tuned,” Ford said. “Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.”

Pressed by reporters at a government announcement, Ontario’s Education Minister said the federal government had been sent details to make the case that the province requires more money to reach $10 childcare.

“We want to get a better deal,” said Lecce, who has also raised issues with the long-term viability of the funding that currently only covers five years.

Read more:

Ontario still hasn’t shown how it would spend child-care funding, federal minister says

But advocates, who have been losing patience as every other province and territory signs a deal, contend the province’s argument is not good enough to hold up the deal.

Story continues below advertisement

“The truth is, if they really wanted to have a sustainable child-care system in Ontario, they would have got to work on this a lot faster,” said Carolyn Ferns from the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care.

“They can’t throw up their hands and say, ‘The province has no role to play,’ in an area that is primarily provincial jurisdiction.”

Ferns said she was frustrated by the lack of an announcement on the deal on International Women’s Day, which she noted would have been a natural fit for the role childcare will play for Ontario women. She said affordable childcare will be a key policy in not only achieving gender justice, but in ending the ‘She-cession’ caused by the pandemic.

“Ontario has really left this to the last minute and it might be more complex policy than the minister is anticipating,” said Ferns.

Meanwhile, parents like Jason Quammie continue to wait and hope a deal will be made soon. It costs him more than $1,000 a month for his three children, which he said includes the small discount he gets for working in a child-care centre.

“I work more than one job to make it happen,” he said.

Quammie said while $10-a-day care wouldn’t offer complete financial freedom, it would significantly reduce the burden many families face.

Story continues below advertisement

“It would allow for them to put their kids in some extracurricular programs or enrich their lives in another way,” he said, “and allow them to do other things and not have to work three or four jobs just to pay for childcare.”

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Most Popular

Man arrested after allegedly exposing himself to women on Toronto subway

Police in Toronto have arrested a man and charged him after he allegedly exposed himself to “multiple” women across the city’s subway system. Toronto police...

85-year-old fixes up bicycles for children’s Christmas gifts in Burnaby

At 85 years old, Dennis Baker is supposed to be enjoying his retirement years, but the former office supply salesman is working harder than...

Police release suspect descriptions after Toronto Humane Society van stolen

Police have released images and descriptions of two men who allegedly stole an animal rescue vehicle from the Toronto Humane Society. On Nov. 29, at...

Unclaimed lotto ticket purchased in Richmond, B.C. worth $5 million

Someone has purchased a $5 million ticket in Richmond, B.C., but has yet to claim it, according to the B.C. Lottery Corporation. The Richmond Lotto...