Wednesday, August 17, 2022
Home Covid-19 New Zealand mosque shooter may appeal conviction and life imprisonment, lawyer says

New Zealand mosque shooter may appeal conviction and life imprisonment, lawyer says

The gunman who killed 51 worshippers at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, is considering appealing his convictions and prison sentence, his lawyer said Monday.

Australian Brenton Tarrant was subject to inhumane and degrading treatment in jail, prompting him to plead guilty under duress, lawyer Tony Ellis wrote in a memo to the chief coroner.

Read more:
‘Darkest day’: New Zealand marks 2nd anniversary of Christchurch mosque shootings

Tarrant, a white supremacist, livestreamed the 2019 attacks on Facebook. It was the worst atrocity in New Zealand’s modern history and prompted lawmakers to swiftly ban the deadliest types of semiautomatic weapons.

Last year before his trial was due to begin, Tarrant pleaded guilty to all charges, including 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one count of terrorism. He was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, the toughest sentence available in New Zealand.

Story continues below advertisement

The lawyer’s memo was not immediately made publicly available Monday. Ellis said the gunman had authorized him to discuss the case with only two local media outlets, RNZ and Stuff.








New Zealand shooting: Over 60 thousand firearms removed from circulation after Christchurch attacks, Ardern says


New Zealand shooting: Over 60 thousand firearms removed from circulation after Christchurch attacks, Ardern says – Mar 12, 2020

The coroner’s office did not immediately release a copy of the memo, referring requests back to Ellis. But the coroner’s office did not dispute the memo’s existence or the characterization of it by the media outlets.

RNZ reported that Ellis had advised his client to appeal his sentence and convictions on the basis that his rights had been breached, and that Tarrant was considering such an appeal.

Read more:
New Zealand mosque shooter dismisses lawyers, will represent himself at sentencing

Ellis said the gunman was held in solitary confinement for much of the time while awaiting his trial and lacked proper access to lawyers, information and documentation about his case.

Story continues below advertisement

The gunman told his lawyer that his treatment in jail affected his “will to carry on” and had decided the simplest way out was to plead guilty, RNZ reported.

The memo came after Chief Coroner Deborah Marshall’s office last month opened an inquiry into the deaths of the victims, the latest in a series of probes into the attacks.

Rosemary Omar, whose 24-year-old son Tariq was gunned down at Al Noor mosque, told RNZ that the gunman’s claims were nothing more than him seeking further attention.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Most Popular

Nearly 60% of Canadians doubt Hockey Canada’s plan to tackle sex abuse: Survey

Hockey Canada is skating on thin ice when it comes to public trust in their promises to fix the culture of sexual abuse and...

Blue Jays bring 3-game losing streak into matchup against the Orioles

Baltimore Orioles (61-55, fourth in the AL East) vs. Toronto Blue Jays (61-54, third in the AL East) Toronto; Wednesday, 3:07 p.m. EDTPITCHING PROBABLES: Orioles:...

Medicine Hat Tigers announce retirement of legendary hockey broadcaster Bob Ridley

The voice of the Western Hockey League‘s Medicine Hat Tigers is hanging up his microphone, the team announced Tuesday. “For 52 years, Bob Ridley was...

Biden Signs Climate, Health Bill Into Law as Other Economic Goals Remain

The bill is the latest victory for the president on overhauling the physical economy, but he has found less support for plans to help...