Monday, August 15, 2022
Home Covid-19 New Brunswick to offer second COVID-19 booster shot to those 50 and...

New Brunswick to offer second COVID-19 booster shot to those 50 and older

New Brunswick is preparing to roll out a second round of booster doses to residents aged 50 or older.

Earlier this week, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) said Canada should prepare for “the rapid deployment” of a second COVID-19 booster program over the coming weeks prioritizing adults 80 and over and residents of long-term care or other congregate settings.

The advisory body also advised that the aim be to provide a second booster dose six months after the previous booster dose.

Read more:

COVID 4th dose: Prioritize adults 80 and older, long-term care residents, NACI says

In a Friday news release, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell said expanding the eligibility for booster doses “will provide an extra layer of protection against the Omicron and BA.2 variants.”

Story continues below advertisement

The province is now “strongly recommending” a second booster dose to those aged 70 or older, as well as residents of long-term care.

Second booster doses will be available as of April 19.

Those aged 50 and up are also eligible as long as five months have passed since their last dose of the vaccine.

Read more:

How people in N.B. are sharing COVID-19 data on their own

The province said First Nation, Inuit and Métis individuals and their non-Indigenous household members who are aged 18 and older are also eligible.

However, “anyone who has been recently infected with COVID-19 should wait three months before receiving a booster dose,” the province said.

Russell in the release that vaccination is “the key element in a layered approach to protecting yourself against COVID-19.

“It is important to continue to stay home when you are sick, get tested when you are experiencing symptoms, keep your number of close contacts low, and practise good hand hygiene.”

New Brunswick public health said it will continue to evaluate second booster doses for those under 50.

Read more:

COVID-19: N.B. reporting 9 deaths, nearly 3,900 positive PCR tests in weekly update

Story continues below advertisement

In addition, the province is making Paxlovid more accessible to COVID-19 patients.

As of next Monday, COVID-19 patients who at high risk of serious illness from the virus can ask to be assessed for a prescription for Paxlovid.

“Now we have a way to reduce the severity of the infection in high-risk patients,” said Russel in the release.

The antiviral treatment will be available at no cost.

— With files from Nicole Gibillini.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Most Popular

Nearly half of Canadians pay more attention to the weather than payday

For many Canadians, the best day of the week is when that paycheque hits the bank account, but according to a recent study, people...

Ashcroft, B.C. senior man dies while waiting for ambulance

It’s a small town with a growing problem. Sunday morning, a man believed to be in his 80s suffered a cardiac arrest in the Village...

FBI and DHS warn threats to federal law enforcement have spiked since Mar-a-Lago search

The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security have issued a joint intelligence bulletin warning of a spike in threats to federal law enforcement...

7 TED Talks To Change How We Look At Ourselves

For so many of us, the past two years have prompted us to ask significant questions about our lives. Are we in the right...